Cuong Dieu

Advance Photography Studio (AD530) course at NYCCT/CUNY

Monday, November 20, 2006

Final Project

When I think about to do this project, I have a lots of ideas what I’m going to photograph such as shooting different bridges, underground music, architecture and so on. Actually, I did go out to take some snap shot about underground music in the subway. The result came out is not quiet good and the lighting is out of control. Therefore, I have to change my plan and deal something with the lighting effect. I also want to do something extraordinary to transform the light into my subject. Finally, the idea just popped up in my mind which to shot my subject at night. In this series of ten prints, I also give a title which is “Manhattan Night Vision”.

This is New York City which means the light is never off all the time. I always think this city is wonderful, powerful and beautiful at night time. The neon light and mixing lighting such as sign, apartment and store lighting are very attractive to human eye. Bus tours are running everywhere in Manhattan to see the fantastic night scene. Not only the Manhattan look good at day time but at night time also consider another point of the beauty. In this series, I didn’t choose the daytime because I want to transform this city into more dynamic and interesting way.

The title is “Manhattan Night Vision”. I want to capture the beauty of Manhattan at night. It could be anywhere where the light becomes a magic to reveal this city. I also narrow down the location which is most people recognized such as Times Square, Empire State building. Columbus Circle Herald Square, Union Square and downtown. These locations are very iconic to represent Manhattan where the tall building is raising. Don’t confuse my project is tourism or architecture. Everything should be done at night time that the artificial light becomes the visual focus point to transform the subject.

Basically, the shot could be in both horizontal and vertical to capture the movement at night time. Apartment lighting, store lighting, sign lighting and car lighting are the main elements to resemble the frame of the scene. All these light are tungsten therefore it gives a warm and welcome feeling of the scene. This is very important because the color is the key of night photography. Shooting at night is more difficult than day time because the light is not natural. For human vision, we see very clearly and distinguish many objects. In the eye of the camera, dark region becomes darker and light area becomes brighter. Therefore, all shots are absolutely set in slow shutter speed. In this case, a tripod is very handy and like a stable assistant to do my job.

This is the first time I shot at night. I know I have to do lots of experience how to capture the movement. I believe with my knowledge and creativity, I could do this project with my best. Now I have to get a tripod

1 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

Fun topic. A tripod is mandatory for your success with this. We talked about shooting from tall buildings but I think there should be a variety of shots. At least a few of the photographs even if you are concentrating on the icons of Manhattan should include streets with traffic. The result of traffic blurs can be gorgeous.

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home